Thursday, July 24, 2008

21 more days to go





I will be coming home 3 weeks from today...yea! I am greatly enjoying this experience and we are thankful for the opportunity, but I am definitely an all-American girl through and through. I will be spending both my 1st anniversary (August 4th) and my birthday (August 9th) here in the beautiful country of Taiwan. I am looking forward to some belated celebrations back home in America, that will include a trip to Angelo's (my favorite restaurant in Evansville) and a cake from Piece of Cake. Oh, and Nick and I will finally get to the eat the top layer of cake from our wedding. Oh, I know what you're thinking "yeah right, I'm sure that's going to be good", but little do you know that Piece of Cake rocks and freeze amazingly well. I just had some cake from the wedding last month, and it tasted awesome. My #1 piece of advice for future brides: get the most cake for your money. The cake is one of the best parts of the wedding. Well, that and the bride walking down the aisle :)






So what have I been doing for the past couple of days? Well, I have been working out in the morning, going to lunch with Nick, reading textbooks on cardiology, and watching movies on TV. I wish that I had a video of our lunch dates. The menu is completely in Chinese without pictures. Thankgoodness Nick has learned a few Chinese characters: rice, chicken, pork, beef, and noodles. So we are taking a half educated guess when ordering lunch. It has all been edible, with most of it being rather good.



Last night, I told Nick that I refused to eat Chinese for dinner. The last American food I had was last week, and I was craving something other than rice or noodles. So we headed into town on our scooter. About an hour later, we found a Pizza Hut! They had some rather unusual pizzas - with pineapple on just about all of them. However, I definitely defined the term "binge eating" last night. Who knows when I'll see American food again, right? It's hard to justify spending over $20.oo on it, when you can get Chinese for about $2.50 (or cheaper) per person.


I am really looking forward to this weekend. We are planning to do some sightseeing outside of Haulien. Plus, I'll get some quality time with Nick. Tomorrow I'm going to start looking for a bakery where we can get a decent cake for our anniversary. Wish me luck!

Here are some of our pictures from lunch and dinner - check out the pizza with shrimp on it. The other pic is of part of the university here in Haulien. It's absolutely beautiful!

No comments: