Monday, July 14, 2008

"Just Another Manic Monday" (Kelly)



This morning started off very hot. I haven't ran since I've been here, and I figured that it was about time for me to get back to the grind. The university where we are staying has a very nice outdoor track, yes I did say outdoor. I thought that maybe if I got over there by 9 am or so, I'd have a decent chance of beating the heat. Boy was I wrong! I got in almost 3 miles and then decided that it wouldn't be good to collapse of heatstroke in a place where little English is spoken.

We had an awesome lunch in a small restaurant close to National Taiwan University - where Nick's lab is located. Nick's new friends have totally spoiled us this week. They read the menus to us and then do the ordering as well. It's very nice because we are able to try lots of new things. Today we had noodles and dumplings. They were both delicious. I do not understand why the majority of Asians are thin, because their diet is loaded with carbs! Perhaps it's bec ause they do not eat near the portions that we do in America. After lunch, I took the MRT to SoGo department store. This place was massive, with many floors of clothing and housewares. I have never seen such a shoe and clothing selection! I resisted the temptation to buy anything. I spent the remainder of the day browsing through stores in Taipei Key Mall. This is an underground shopping area near one of the main MRT stations. It consists mainly of cheap clothes, shoes, and electronic gadgets. After having my fair share of exercise for the day, I headed back to the room around 4:30. I did some laundry and caught up on some reading.

Nick and I found an awesome restaurant tonight located near the Shida night market. It was an Italian restaurant that had amazing pizza. We had a ham and mushroom combination that was served on a cracker thin crust. It was fabulous though, and we agreed that it was some of the best thin crust we have ever tasted. Even better was that they served us iced tea that actually tasted pretty good. Yea for the needed caffeine!

We have just finished up the laundry and are ready to get some sleep. I think that I may be getting somewhat use to the hard bed. However, if you could come up with a way to send me some granola bars and vegetables I would be forever grateful. Miss and love you all!!!

Kelly

No comments: